Saturday, January 5, 2008

Spiritual Disciplines





Tomorrow, January 6th, is the beginning of a joining together of many peoples from around North America and the world. Prayer, Fasting, Bible Studies, introducing people to the love and power of the Lord Jesus Christ and His message of Peace. Our pastor has been teaching for a year on "spirituality". Being spiritual in a secular world. Living the Christian life as the Bible teaches and not as peoples opinions of what and how a Christian should act and live. The principles are easy to see, sometimes hard to follow because of carnality. I want what I want when I want it, no waiting, thank you very much. If so and so can have that, then I should have it too. They said that, so I can say this. Tit for tat. No one will see if I take this, it is small, no one will miss it, besides it is just as much mine, I deserve it. Oh, the thoughts and intents of the heart can be our undoing. Putting thoughts and intents under submission is a hard task. Refusing to think evil, ungodly and selfish thoughts requires discipline AND filling our mind with wholesome things. Spiritual things.
"8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. " Philipians 4:8 NLT
I cannot say that this blog keeps me from doing wholesome things, nor does it lead me into things not spiritual...quite the contrary...the thoughts behind most postings are to give God all credit and honor to the Lord Jesus Christ. Now I have to say, Jack and I have already begun part of the disciplines before tomorrow, specifically reading the 4 Gospels...and we have already noticed something special happening!
So, to honor our Pastors' request to abstain from internet activites other than business (this blog is pure pleasure), I shall not blog until the fast has ended on February 3, 2008. So, until then - the Lord Bless you and keep you, the Lord make His face to shine upon you and give you peace.

Grace to you

Grammie Betimes
















1 comment:

Loee said...

Hi Grammie Betimes!

I just want to thank you for your posts. I've been a fan of northernapostolicmom for quite some time and have now found you! Since you and Michelle are fasting from the internet (God will bless!) I've been reading your posts from when you started, 2 or 3every night or so. Now I've caught up to where you stopped and will be looking forward to hearing how God has worked in your life during the last few weeks of dedicated prayer and fasting.

I am Lois from Zanesville, Ohio and have been saved (Acts 2:38!) for 31 glorious years! God has truly blessed my life. I appreciate your blog and Michelle's. Many times just when I need a word from the Lord it comes from your blogs. Keep up your blogging! I'm sure I'm not the only one blessed.

Lois :-)