Friday, August 14, 2009

Espanol

Spanish. The language of countries and peoples south of the USA and across the ocean. Spanish is the second most common spoken language in the world. It originated in northern Spain as one of the hundreds of Romantic Languages from ages past. Today Spanish is among the 6 most widely used of the remaining Romance languages (of Latin origin). There you have it, a bit of history thanks to Wikipedia.

Many many more people speak Spanish in Denver, Colorado than in Burlington, Vermont. I guess that several years ago, I had an inkling that I might be learning Spanish in the future...but didn't see the need at the time. Now, I see that it can be an important part of my nursing here in Denver. Besides, I would love to know what the Spanish speaking people in the grocery line behind me are saying...not nosey you understand, but there is admittedly curiosity!

So to understand and speak Espanol one must practice, make mistakes, practice, make mistakes, listen to Spanish...they speak incredibly fast on the radio....listen to tapes, listen, practice...I am giving it a C effort...not an A or even a B effort at this time. My Spanish helper fizzled, so I was at a loss for a time. Now I use the radio, DVD and listen online. Jack is a good sport, but he isn't interested in learning for himself, he still is a good sport. One of the nurses I work with has a better grasp of the grammer, which I absolutely need to get down better, then it will be easier, and make sense. I am learning body parts. Intersting.

Love, grace and peace to you...adios




No comments: