Friday, February 5, 2010

Ever Present, Never Ending...CHANGE


Friday. This day is Friday. The near end of my work week. Tomorrow I am on for 7 hours, and only have to go in if urgent cases need to be done during those hours. We hear in the morning. So I am 7 hours away from some true free time. This week we got the news that the hospital where I work has been mandated by its parent corporation to cut its budget by 2.8 million dollars. TWO MILLION EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS! At the same time patient care expenditures for necessary equipment (beds, monitors, pumps, OR equipment and renovation etc etc) ... 10 Million is being spent on that project. Last year our hospital performed 200 Bone Marrow Transplants with "very good results". A new hospital is being built on our campus, the Rocky Mountain Hospital For Children. A facility dedicated to high quality care for children at a tertiary care medical center with many specialty services. Just some facts thrown in the mix of information we received. Today was Professional Practice Committee /Council Meeting. Past efforts , goals and information sharing. Then a talk with slide show and video presentation from two nurses who traveled to Haiti to help with the overwhelming needs there. That segment was heart wrenching, many of us were sobbing at the end. One drop in an ocean of need. But then, the ocean is virtually made of innumerable drops, each playing its important minuscule role.

The big news that affected our department is we are loosing a nurse. She is a good friend and has worked three rotations as a travel nurse with us. Her contract has been terminated. She will try to get a job in Denver. Jobs, even in nursing, are at a premium. My hours have been changed. I will pick up more call time, more days a week at less hours per day but still full time. 5 8's rather than 4 10's. A stringent effort to curb overtime and call ins. I am curious how that is supposed to be implemented.

It is a wonderful thing not to be worried about all this. God is in control, so I don't have to worry. I do have to do my part. Be diligent in my relationship with Jesus Christ. Be diligent in my work with an attitude of thankfulness. I do have a job. I do have health insurance ( though my main physician doesn't require insurance, only faith). Maintaining contentment in a world of change is the most wonderful thing. I can rely on Jesus Christ to manage all things. I have my part and I long to share this blessed peace with others. In a world of chaos there is peace. My eyes are set toward the soon coming of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. In the sky, with a shout he will return and my heart is anxiously awaiting meeting Him is the air! Change is inevitable and that is one change I just eagerly await!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I just LOVE your strong confidence in the Lord!

Grammie Betimes said...

thanks, Jesus has more than proven Himself time and time again. He is the ONE! And I know in whom I have believed. No more proving for me, just faith and relying on how He works things out!