Saturday, July 19, 2008

Packing

OK, it has been a long time...a month to be exact since I have blogged. Not that I haven't wanted to, nor that I haven't tried. Our computers went kerflunk and it has taken a bit to get them in sync and ticking together again. Plus, we put our condo on the market and it is now under contract with a closing date of August 15. That means we are packing. That is until I hit my book collection. I made a decision that this time, this move I really am going to weed out my books and get to a reasonable library size. Jack applauded my decision and promptly helped out by throwing away a bookcase (without books). He knew that if the books were on the shelves it would be just too much of a shock for me, so he figured, just throw out the bookcase and I will follow suit with the books. No place for books to go...get rid of the books. I packed them in boxes. Next, to the basement with the wall of shelves he built me when we moved in 6 years ago.
Deep breath. OK, I certainly can't reread or read for the first time those well intended to read books now, or in the near future or far future. Besides the town library is a place where books are intended to be stored and shared...hey...bright light...I'll just give my collection to the local library.... I think. So, determined to make the collection a mere fraction of what it is now, I set out to weed through, and pile into neat piles groups of keepers, throw aways, give aways, donate to the local library and lastly,undecided what to do with these. Well it is 4 hours later. I have retreated to the sanity of my computer in the upstairs bedroom. In the basement is my huge pile of "undecided" and smaller pile of 1 throw away, and a huge mess. I made the mistake of "just looking inside for a minute" more than a few books, which landed me in either nostalgic bliss, happy reminiscing, a couple "ah ha, this is where I read that..." moments and gee, I really would like to read this again, or for the first time.
I've made a terrible mess in the basement. Jack won't ever be able to get to his computer down there if I don't get back there and at least make a path for him to walk. Piles and piles of undecideds and a miserable failed attempt at organizing and parting with dear and wonderful books. I was going to wait until we decided on a house to buy. Silly me. We aren't buying right away and have to put everything in storage. We have the biggest storage unit in the place and I just can't fill the whole thing with my books! Oh, this is so hard. My daughter in law said she would come help. She is the best thrower outer in the whole wide world. That's because she and my son and their two sons live in a small apartment with no room for major collections of any kind.
I will see her in church tomorrow and ask for her help. Right now I am going to go to bed and get back to my lasted book. Three Cups of Tea. A good read, once I got through all the descriptions of rock and mountain. The guy loves rocks. I love the Rock of All Ages....OK. I have failed the packing books. But must get it done by Tuesday, because we have a time table to keep.

No comments: