Sunday, July 20, 2008

So Hard To Part With A Book



The book dilemma was really bothering me. Why am I so ambivalent? What makes it so very hard to part with my books? Then I received an email from my older sister. Older sisters are wise and offer good insight and support. I love her! "Books become our friends", she said. How true! In my books are stories about people and places and times past. About friendships, and hardships, blessings and tribulations. Some are fact,some are fiction. They teach, entertain, cause me to laugh and cry and sigh and experience all of life's emotions and frustrations. I became intimate with my friends the books. That is why it is so hard. I do have a "flea market" box going, and it has more than books in it. Knick Knacks of all kinds that I've enjoyed. Honestly, I am not sure how much to keep and how much to throw away. I have no great desire for a big or little house. No great need for a special place to live. We have our travel trailer and it is just fine, although there is absolutely NO room in there for any kind of a book collection. So, tomorrow, with Michelle's expert help at weeding and tossing. I will whittle the collection down to 2 boxes. I must also add that our mother was a great example of a collector of books and just about everything else. She had an immense collection of her favorite author and story gendre.I wonder if she ever reread any of her vast collection. Every year I reread my favorite books, a compilation of the history and lives of the Isrealite nation and the story of Christ and the early church...the Bible. It is the best reading of all. Hmmm come to think about things, our little travel trailer just won't do in the Vermont winter. So before it gets too terribly cold, we will have to find something. And when we do, I will upack and relish again my friends the books!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What an adventure!!!! LOL! Who knew tossing books could become so unexpectedly interesting! I had a great time, despite the drama... I love you and Jack so much! Let's do it again soon!