Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Visit With Rhoby

Hello to everyone from Rhoby! "Tell everybody I am 90 years old and still kicking!" Rhoby is my mother's twin brother and this was my third visit with him since I learned that he had moved so close by! It has been such a pleasure visiting with him. I must admit his hearing difficulties can make communication a challenge, never-the-less it is great spending time with him. He is very happy to be back in Vermont and likes living at the Retirement community. He has difficulty walking, and uses a walker to get around. Stays pretty much in his apartment, reading books, doing crossword puzzles and watching TV. I brought him some left over roast beef, potato, green beans and pie from our Christmas dinner. He will eat it later since he had already eaten by the time I got there. He was very appreciative. We visited for quite a while today. He told me about how he and his wife Cele met, how he taught his son's wife, Ellie, how to drive. His eyes twinkled when he told me he was the Best Man in Glenn and Ellie's wedding. Rhoby likes Ellie alot and speaks very fondly of her. He talks of his grandchildren Jennifer and Stephanie with the pride of a grandfather. Well, it was time to watch some TV and he started surfing the channels. I was wondering how many channels he would go through before he found something he liked...but he knew exactly where he was going! JEOPARDY!! So he and I watched Jeopardy together, and had a good time. He said he likes Wheel of Fortune as well and usually retires around 9pm, unless a good program comes on TV. Glenn and Ellie visit Rhoby regularly, bring him all his groceries and food and he tells me that about once a month they all go out to dinner. He likes that! As a matter of fact, that is how he met his wife, going out to eat! Rhoby went to accounting school then got a job at the Vetrans Retirement Home in Bennington. He liked the job because the pay was good and his meals were provided. One day he walked into the cafeteria to have his meal and he heard someone say "Hello, Rhoby!" It was Cele. And from that moment on they were destined to be together. Two months after they were married Rhoby was shipped to the Phillipieans for WWII. He was in the army for 5 years and earned the rank of Master Sargent. I had, in an earlier visit, brought him a picture of him in his army uniform. Quite the dashing young man! We chuckled about that. Rhoby has been a widower for many years and seems to have adjusted well to single life. He speaks postively of his current situation, is content and he does seem to like my visits. He is happy to be 90! Said he would not mind living to 100 to get a letter from whom ever the President of the United States is at that time! Such a goal! "I like being 90!" "I am the oldest one to make it this far!"
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh my!! Rhoby looks great!!! So glad he is enjoying your visits!